Bronze Medallion Course
The Bronze Medallion course is a skills-based award for ages 15 and up.
Our courses provide you with the skills and knowledge of patrolling and surf awareness to become a surf lifesaver. You will earn a nationally recognised qualification (Certificate II in Public Safety – Aquatic Rescue).
- Surf skills and negotiating waves
- Beach awareness — identifying rips and currents
- Basic first aid
- Resuscitation (CPR) and using oxygen and the defibrillator
- Stabilisation of spinal injuries
- Rescue techniques, patient carries and preventions
- Signals and radio communication
- Patrol operations
- Working in a team
- Fitness — running, swimming and paddling in the surf
All candidates must have a reasonable level of fitness and must meet the following requirements:
- Be a minimum of 15 years old on the assessment date
- Swim 400m in less than 9 minutes in a pool
- New members ages 15-17: $250
- New member ages 18+: $500
Most courses meet one weeknight and one weekend morning for 8 weeks.
Bronze Medallion Course 4
11 January-7 March
Tuesdays 7-9 pm and Saturdays 8-11 am
Bronze Medallion Course 5
2 February-29 March
Wednesdays 7-9 pm and Sundays 8-11 am
Bronze Course 6
22 March-17 May
Tuesdays 7-9 pm and Sundays 8-11 am
We run two accelerated, full-day courses. The swim time for both courses is 400m in under 8 minutes.
Lightning Bronze course
3 weekend: 11-12 and 18-19 and 25-26 January
Being a lifesaver
Upon successful completion, lifesavers will participate in regular patrols of Bondi Beach. Patrol requirements are typically 4-5 hours every 3-4 weeks during the summer.
There are a number of other courses that lifesavers can complete to advance their skills including Advanced Resuscitation Techniques, Spinal Management, Beach Management, and Aquatic Rescue. Members can also become certified trainers to lead courses or become assessors.
Members also have year-round access to the Club and can participate in social activities.