Become a Bondi Lifesaver! Become an Aussie Icon!
Enjoy being out on the water? Like an Adrenalin rush? Want to give back to the community? Need a reason to keep fit or build a new circle of friends … then Bondi Surf Bathers Life Saving Club is the place to be!
One of Australia’s most famous beaches, Bondi has over 35,000 people on average visit per day during the busy summer season. As lifesavers, we watch over the beach to help ensure that the locals and visitors have a safe place to surf, train, swim, build sandcastles and enjoy the sun.
Training to be a guardian of the beach is a task that is equally rewarding and challenging. Bondi Surf Bathers Life Saving Club trains its lifesavers above and beyond the normal standard as our lifesavers skills are tested on a daily basis. As a Bondi Lifesaver you will be effectively equipped to to be confident, skilled to save lives and navigate the ever changing Bondi waters.
Over an 11 week course, we will train you to be the first responder in an emergency all whilst gaining a nationally recognised qualification (Certificate II in Public Safety – aquatic rescue). The course spans:
- Surf awareness - How to read and negotiate the surf
- Beach awareness - Learning about the beach and how to read a new beach
- Basic first aid - Bandaging, treating bone, joint, muscular & common beach injuries and how to treat stingers.
- Patient Management - How to approach someone you are concerned about and how to proceed with treatment
- Advanced First Aid - Resuscitation and managing an unconscious patient
- Basic Spinal management – Stabilisation of spinal injuries
- Communication - With Radios and non- verbal communication
- Assisted oxygen - How to administer and when
- Defibrillator - When to use and how
- Rescues - Board, Tube and non-equipment
- Fitness - Running, swimming and paddling in the surf
- Patrol operations - How to be an active member of the patrol and club
Four Bronze Medallion courses are held over an 11 week period, in face to face sessions The time commitment during the course is 3 hours on either a Saturday or Sunday and 2 hours on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening. There is also some pre-reading and home work that needs to be completed outside of contact hours. The pre-requisite to enrolling in the course is a swim of 400m in less than 9 minutes. This will be tested on the first day of your course. The swim must be completed in a pool without the aid of any buoyancy device (wetsuit etc) or flippers.
Most people finish the course saying it is one of the most enjoyable challenges they have completed, and quite often the new friends you make will be there for life.
When you graduate you will be allocated to a patrol that has set patrol dates over the season. The surf life saving season runs from October - April for Bondi. Lifesavers spend 40 hours a season on patrol.